Skip to main content

How is Christmas Supposed to Feel?

I'm fresh off a funeral and hospital visit that both stung a little more than usual. I'm not exactly sure why. Because I've spent enough time around end-of-life scenarios and difficult moments, I'm not typically shaken by them. But the raw realities of this weekend have done something different in me. Maybe it's due to the timing of these events. We're at the precipice of Christmas Day, which our annual Advent preparation reminds us is a longing for hope, peace, joy and love. And if I can be honest with you, longing is probably a good word for me.

I read lots of articles and posts about the "feelings" that should accompany Christmas. And I can't begin to count the number of times I've listened to others confide in me that "it just doesn't feel like Christmas this year." I guess I've never quite understood what Christmas is supposed to "feel" like. This isn't the first year I've "felt" the way I do, but every Christmas is different. I've had blissfully wonderful Christmas seasons, "Bah humbug" Christmas seasons, and Christmas seasons that are somewhere in between. I've experienced Christmases as a young boy, eagerly straining my ears to hear hopeful sounds on the rooftop. Those were fun times! I've also experienced one particularly painful Christmas when I looked around the room and processed an empty chair. That one didn't feel good at all. But it was still Christmas.

When I read the Christmas story, I see a lot of feelings I don't expect to see. Luke says the shepherds were terrified. How's that for a Christmas feeling? I don't ever recall longing for a terrified approach to Christmas. Or what about Mary? She was perplexed. Or Joseph? He must've felt like a champion when he was told, "There's no room for you." The Magi got their audience with the Christ child, then had to find another way home. And Herod? Well, his Christmas "feeling" was anger. Intense anger. Because Jesus messes with our lives, challenges our status quo and threatens to make everything different. So, again, I'm not quite sure how Christmas is supposed to feel. But I do know what Christmas proclaims.

Christmas proclaims the surprising and profound love of God. Out of love, God chose to send the world a Savior. Which is truly absurd when you think about it. Have you seen the world lately? Much of it is hard to love. Just turn on the evening news or read the headlines of your favorite media platform and you'll see. Hatred. Injustice. Evil. Racism. Abuse. It's rampant; it's everywhere. Just like it's always been. And yet, for God so loved the world.

I'm part of that world God loves. And so are you. My life is far from perfect, and I'm guessing your life has some missing pieces as well. But you and I are not unloved. And we are not alone. This Savior goes by another name- Emmanuel. Or Immanuel, if you prefer. Into the realities of this world enters one who is "God with us," which is a stunning development that changes everything. Now we have a friend to enter the darkness with us. Whether it's suffering or fear, hopelessness or despair, failure or even death, there is One who goes with us, stays with us, perseveres with us and offers to us a grace that is sufficient. And I need that. Every day.

If you were to write a book detailing my Christmas celebrations, each chapter would tell a different story. I've tried to manufacture certain Christmas "feelings," but that doesn't work for me. I've tried to reawaken old family traditions, but they're just not the same. I've tried to buy the perfect gift, but the ecstasy of the moment wears off after a day or two. I've tried to stay home, I've tried to travel, I've tried to do nothing and do everything...and every year there's a different feeling. That's because Christmas isn't a "feeling." It's a proclamation of love. And regardless of how I feel, or how my life changes, or what I'm experience professionally or personally, Christmas itself never changes. It's still the old, old story that never grows old: For God so loved the world. Praying you know the surprising and profound love of God this Christmas, no matter how you feel. Merry Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Disciples

Sunday evening I arrived home following a fruitful (and a bit tiring) Annual Conference. Joe represented our churches in a professional and prayerful manner.  Thanks Joe for your hard work and dedication!  This year's legislation passed without much conversation, which means that very few resolutions and petitions were of divisive subjects. Instead of turning into a weekend best described as polarizing and political, this year's Annual Conference was primarily peaceful and attentive to worship.  You might ask the question, "Did you accomplish anything this year?" And to be honest, I'm not sure how to answer that question.  Was there helpful legislation?  Yes.  Will the legislation turn into action? Maybe. Hopefully. Will that action result in vital churches and the making of disciples?  Hmm... The mission of the United Methodist Church (and thus the mission of the three local churches I serve) is to "make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation o

FOCUS: Creating Renewal

Creating Renewal             This past week I had the privilege of leading the music time at Vacation Bible School. And let me tell you, what a blast! I left for home every night completely exhausted, but also completely refreshed in my soul. Spending those nights singing and dancing with young disciples renewed my faith and replenished a joy that I didn’t know was even missing! But that’s what happens when faith catches fire. Vitality happens. New life happens. You might even call it revival! And that’s what we’re discussing today: how to seek vitality and renewal in our congregations. It’s one of our five areas of focus, five areas that we believe have the capacity to change the world. And I remain convinced that if we seek renewal and revival in our churches, the world will be drawn in to the magnificent and life-giving work of Jesus Christ. Would you read with me… Acts 2 is sort of like the gold standard for church life. When Jesus told the disciples to

Real ID: God is With Me

Read ID: God is With Me  Psalm 139: 7-12              Well friends, it is another tremendous day to gather for worship. I hope that you experienced God’s presence and blessing this week. I also hope you’re ready to hear from God’s Word this morning. Today we’re continuing our sermon series called Real ID, which is our humble attempt to discover the real “us” in a world full of lies. Last week, we learned from Psalm 139 that God knows us and accepts us. Today we’re reminded that God is with us.  Would you read with me?              There’s been a lot of attention given over the last several years to something known as the  Loneliness Epidemic . If you were to do a quick Google search, you could spend hours upon hours reading the latest research on the topic of loneliness in our world. For instance, in a recent survey in the United Kingdom, a large percentage of respondents listed the fear of being alone as their number one fear. More than death. More than cancer. More than