Skip to main content

Reflections on the Boston Marathon Bombings

Grace and Peace,

Earlier today I had the privilege of interviewing two candidates for a campus ministry position at Wyotech.  One of the candidates was curious about my interest in such a ministry.  It didn't take me long to answer.  I quickly said, "There are students at Wyotech who need to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ, and I believe it is our job to tell them."

After a long day of interviews and good Christ-centered conversation, I called my wife.  She promptly told me about the tragedy unfolding at the Boston Marathon. My reactions were many.  I experienced disbelief and anger, fear and pain, sorrow and concern.  And then I remembered the sermon I preached on Easter.

If you were in worship on Easter Sunday, you heard me say very candidly that my "Holy Week" was more of a crappy week.  In all honesty, Holy Week 2013 was a painful week of ministry for me.  It was one of those weeks pastors hope to avoid, a week that felt like Good Friday without the promise of Resurrection.

As evidenced by the bombings earlier today, our world is filled with Good Friday-like pain.  The depth of human brokenness is deeper than any of us realize, and I admit, there are days even I grow weary with the pervasive problems of sin and evil.  There are days (much like today) when evil seems to drown out even the boldest proclamations of Good News.  But this perception never lasts.

When Saturday of Holy Week rolled around, I was challenged (perhaps by the Holy Spirit?) to reflect on those moments when Christ was present, but due to my obsessive concentration on all the bad news of the week, I did not notice.  I felt awfully sheepish once I recognized the number of times I allowed the Good News to pass me by.  Here I was preparing to preach the Resurrection while missing the Resurrection all around me!

Today there are people who need to hear and experience our God of Good News.  They may be students at Wyotech or citizens watching evil unfold on a national level.  Who will point to Good News?  Who will stand in the midst of Good Friday moments and proclaim, "This is not how the story ends!?" Who will if not you and I, the very ones who claim to be Easter people?  As you mourn, cry, grieve and express anger (rightfully so) over today's events, may you also have the eyes to see the Resurrected Christ even in the worst of moments-- and help others to see as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Disciples

Sunday evening I arrived home following a fruitful (and a bit tiring) Annual Conference. Joe represented our churches in a professional and prayerful manner.  Thanks Joe for your hard work and dedication!  This year's legislation passed without much conversation, which means that very few resolutions and petitions were of divisive subjects. Instead of turning into a weekend best described as polarizing and political, this year's Annual Conference was primarily peaceful and attentive to worship.  You might ask the question, "Did you accomplish anything this year?" And to be honest, I'm not sure how to answer that question.  Was there helpful legislation?  Yes.  Will the legislation turn into action? Maybe. Hopefully. Will that action result in vital churches and the making of disciples?  Hmm... The mission of the United Methodist Church (and thus the mission of the three local churches I serve) is to "make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation o

FOCUS: Creating Renewal

Creating Renewal             This past week I had the privilege of leading the music time at Vacation Bible School. And let me tell you, what a blast! I left for home every night completely exhausted, but also completely refreshed in my soul. Spending those nights singing and dancing with young disciples renewed my faith and replenished a joy that I didn’t know was even missing! But that’s what happens when faith catches fire. Vitality happens. New life happens. You might even call it revival! And that’s what we’re discussing today: how to seek vitality and renewal in our congregations. It’s one of our five areas of focus, five areas that we believe have the capacity to change the world. And I remain convinced that if we seek renewal and revival in our churches, the world will be drawn in to the magnificent and life-giving work of Jesus Christ. Would you read with me… Acts 2 is sort of like the gold standard for church life. When Jesus told the disciples to

Be Different!

Be Different                October 13, 2019 2 Timothy 2: 8-19 Well friends, I’m so glad you’ve chosen to worship with us this morning. Every week we come together to take the next step on the greatest adventure of our lives- the adventure of following Jesus. And really, there is no greater adventure than the one Jesus calls us to. In this adventure, we see God take the broken and make it beautiful again; we see God lovingly search for what is lost until it is found; we watch Jesus bring hope to a hopeless world. No, I can’t think of a better adventure than this, but it IS an adventure we must choose to embrace every day. That’s what this next sermon series is all about- daily embracing this holy life to which Jesus calls us. We'll be looking at Paul's advice to his young friend, Timothy. So if you have your Bibles, I invite you to turn with me to 2 Timothy 8… I’m often asked to name my favorite move, and I have to admit, I struggle with that question. I don’t